I’m Finally Available To Buy! :) (28mm Jemima Fawr by Trent Miniatures)

At long last, my adoring public can buy a miniature facsimile of their favourite Welsh pub-bouncer, wargame-blogger, scourge of the French and all-round Welsh bruiser, Jemima Fawr! 🙂

At the Partizan show last May, I bumped into my old mate Duncan MacFarlane, the former editor of Miniature Wargames and Wargames Illustrated.  He now runs Trent Miniatures, which produces a lovely 28mm French Revolutionary Wars and Irish Rebellions range.  Sadly this range was only in embryonic form when we were looking for figures for our Fishguard 1797 project, or we’d have bought a heap of them!  He’d been wanting to speak to me, as he’d just commissioned some Angry Welsh Women and their associated Gentleman Friends to complement his excellent and growing range of figures.

So here she is: ‘Big Jemima’ herself:

This lovely model can be bought from the North Star Figures website.

And here’s the first pack of Welsh peasants:

They certainly do look like cracking figures – I just wish they’d been available 10 years ago! 🙁

If you’re wondering what I’m talking about with regard to the Battle of Fishguard 1797, here are my earlier articles covering the French invasion of 1797, the ‘Battle’ and the armies and characters involved:

The Battle That Never Was: Fishguard 1797

French Forces at Fishguard

British Forces at Fishguard (Part 1)

British Forces at Fishguard (Part 2)

Fishguard 1797 Scenario #1: Ambush at Carnwnda

Fishguard 1797 Scenario #2: The French Attack

The Further Adventures of the Black Legion

This entry was posted in 28mm Figures, Fishguard 1797, Napoleonic Wars. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to I’m Finally Available To Buy! :) (28mm Jemima Fawr by Trent Miniatures)

1. David Weale says:

I thought it was the figure with the po. Did you sculpt that one yourself?

• jemima_fawr says:

Jemima could be any one of those Welsh ‘ladies’, to be honest! But the Trent Miniatures one is the first commercially-available figure.

I can’t claim credit for any of the sculpting – the lady with the po (and all the other Welsh ladies) were converted from other figures (mostly Perry and Redoubt) by the talented Martin Small. The lady with the po is taken from the Perry Miniatures ‘ACW Rioters’ set.

JF

• David Weale says:

Meet Martin again a few weeks ago at Haverfordwest, your scenario writing and his sculpting I’m rubbing shoulders with wargaming royalty.

• jemima_fawr says:

Give him my regards, as I haven’t seem him in ages! I’ll have to give him a shout (as Mrs Fawr would say, “Men…”)… 😉

2. Marvin says:

Magnificent figures, I particularly admire your scene with the ladies, the pump and the horses drinking from the trough and the trooper with the tarleton helmet, presumably of the Pembroke Yeomanry. Which manufacturer are those?

I’ve been enjoying your blog, especially the Jemima Fawr references. I’ve just taken part in an annual event called ‘FEMbruary’ –
    It celebrates ‘realistic female miniatures’ in the hobby. I’ve just finished this year’s submission –
    but maybe I’ll tackle a North Star Jemima Fawr next year?!

Her amazing story put me in mind of an story I’d heard where Ilfracombe’s local women, in lieu of any other available military response, repelled French naval invaders in 1797 by parading on the cliffs wearing their red petticoats to appear like local militia.

Anyway, I’ll shut up now – congratulations on a terrific blog 🙂 Best wishes

Marvin

• jemima_fawr says:

Cheers Marvin!

The ‘pump scene’ is actually a French Revolutionary War vignette by Eureka Miniatures, with added Welsh ladies’ hats. The ‘Yeomanry trooper’ is actually a 1790s French Chasseur a Cheval, but the uniform style is VERY close to that of British Light Dragoons/Yeomanry, so all he needed was different paint-job. Martin also added cloth shabraques to the horses – I think they were French-style sheepskin shabraques.

Ah, the ‘Ilfracombe incident’ was actually caused by Castagnier’s flotilla firing a ‘distraction bombardment’ to get the British Army running to Devon, while he landed the troops at Cardiff. The local Volunteer Infantry and Yeomanry were called out in response and part of the Bristol Garrison (the Royal Bucks Militia and Suffolk Provisional Cavalry) were sent in response. In the event, the easterly winds then stopped Castagnier from landing at Cardiff or Swansea and they ended up at Fishguard. I’ve not heard the bit about the Ilfracombe ladies before though… Seems odd that the same thing should allegedly happen at both Ilfracombe and Fishguard and I wonder if the legend has grown with the re-telling (the Fishguard side of the story re ladies, red shawls, tall hats, etc, is pure myth).

• Marvin says:

That’s really interesting, thanks for the info.

I thought it was interesting the Ilfracombe story being about the same time as the Fishguard invasion and just across the Bristol Channel. The display was something I saw some years ago, retold in Ilfracombe’s excellent local museum. You may be right about it being a myth, although a faded red shawl was up on the wall there, said to belong to a lady who apparently was the inspiration and leader of this fake female militia. Also an old drum apparently beaten by one of the ladies was on display.

Even if the story had some truth in it, seeing the French fleet sail by might have made the ladies believe that their clever deception had worked and ‘saved the town’, rather than it just being the case that Ilfracombe was a deliberate distraction anyway!

• jemima_fawr says:

It could be that the Ilfracombe ladies gave rise to the myth of the same thing happening at Fishguard! 🙂

Lord Cawdor did report a mob of several hundred armed women being present at the surrender on 24th February, though there’s no evidence that they took any part in a deception prior to that, as per the legend. It’s amazing how it only took a few decades for a legend to be born. That sort of thing normally took centuries! 🙂