About 18 months ago I started out on a new ACW wargames project, despite previously telling myself in no uncertain terms that I was not to start anything new… However, I managed to convince myself that as I was doing it in 10mm, it would be cheap, would be quick to paint, would be easy to store and could be played on a modestly-sized table. somewhat amazingly, that all actually turned out to be true! Brigade Fire & Fury (I quickly settled on using the 2nd Edition, despite my initial decision to start out with 1st Edition) has proven to be a truly superb set of rules, the armies have been cheap, quick and easy to build and I’ve been able to play games in a relatively modest space.
Needless to say, lots of people came out of the woodwork AFTER I’d started this project to say that they also had 10mm ACW armies. However, they all seem to have taken the ‘traditional’ approach; using the normal ’15mm’ Fire & Fury base-sizes, but filling the bases with between 5 & 9 10mm figures. This looks absolutely amazing, but contradicts most of my personal objectives – to do it quickly, cheaply and on a modestly-sized table.
A few mates have been asking me about what I do for base-sizes and scales, so here’s a recap and some of movement and firing tables converted to my chosen ground-scale. Essentially, I decided to reduce all the scales by 1/5th, so 1 ‘game inch’ (25mm) becomes 20mm and a five-foot table becomes a four-foot table. The maths is actually very easy to do – double the number of inches and call them centimetres. So 1 inch becomes 2cms.
Here’s a chart showing my chosen base-sizes. The various markers have finally given me a use for the piles of useless Euro-Cent loose change that always accumulates at the end of every holiday! 🙂
Here’s the Movement Rate chart re-scaled for my method with all distances in cms:
Here’s my re-scaled Musketry Chart:
To ease play and save on having to conduct (admittedly simply) mental arithmetic, I’ve made range-sticks out of 2cm-wide wooden beading, marked with the weapon-code and with the fire-points marked off in each range band. The width of 2cm equates to the clear gap of 1 ‘game inch’ that needs to be present in order for a unit to fire at a target. After making the sticks I had 24cm left over, so I also made a command-span stick, which comes in handy.
And here is the re-scaled Cannonade Chart:
Anyway, that’s how I scale Fire & Fury for 10mm figures… Have fun!